Website Update 2022 Ed.
It is that time again! You can almost smell the freshly cut pixels in the air! It's website update time and we need YOUR help to make it all about US!
DID YOU KNOW??? MTRAS will be 15 years old in 2022?
Our upgrade will be a phased approach with the following goals:
Phase 1 - Gathering data - Now!
We need member contributed data! Whether you've been a member for 15 minutes or 15 years, we need your help to show the local Middle Tennessee Area all that we do!
Please send in:
- Pictures - Pictures of events, meetings, your projects, or anything that you've photographed for the group.
- Videos - If you've taken video of any of our competitions or Engineered for Destruction events, please send it in!
- Link and resource recommendations - We have a lot of links to resources in our Resources section but it is a bit out of date. Please let us know what you're using as resources for your builds!
- Projects - We're all about the projects! Please send us some updates on your current or former project work. It can be a simple set of pics with descriptions all the way up to a nice polished project demo like we do each month but online!
- Stories - This last one would be a great addition especially from the veterans. (More on how to do this later)
Phase 2 - Add / improve functionality - In Progress
- Social Tools Done - In the past, we've added some member tools such as a forum and member profiles. Over the next few weeks, we will be extending this a bit so that you all can send in all of the great data that we've asked for above.
- Project Management In Progress - We plan on adding some grouping tools and possibly some collaboration tools to the site so that we can better collaborate on events like Engineered for Destruction events, outreach, and group administration. Nothing fancy but a centralized way to bring our efforts under one umbrella.
- Member Resources In Progress - As we continue to expand our workshops and trainings, we will add accompanying content to the site for participants to have access to as needed. We also want to have a shared repository of reference material generated by our members for the benefit of the group.
- Marketplace Done - We are adding a spot to buy, sell, and trade items. This has been a request for many years!
Phase 3 - Engine and theme upgrade - Late 2021/Early 2022
- Easier to use - Use up to date technology to improve the administrative and user experience.
- Improve Security - Upgrade the engine underneath to improve security and performance.
How you can help!
Ok, so you have stuff to share! How do you share it?!? You can do that right here!
- First, if you haven't already, Register your profile on our site. (don't worry, you're data is not going anywhere! We have no interest in mining, sharing or selling your information to anyone)
- For anti-spam, anti-bot, etc, you'll need to verify your email (you'll get a link) and then one of the moderators will review your account request and approve it. (most of the time, approvals will happen within 24 hours)
- Once you're in, you can seup your profile. You can put in as much or as little as you want, add a profile and header picture and can add connections to other members if you want.
- Add content under the appropriate Community > Contribute menu item for the type of content
- Photos/Videos - There are two places you can add these - first under your own profile and second on the Forum.
- Weblinks - Community > Contribute > Submit a Weblink/Resource - This is for external online resources that you find useful
- Upcoming Events - Community > Contribute > Submit an Event - Use this tool to let us know of area events that may be of interest to the group. They do not have to be robotics based but do need to relate to a maker/stem/artistic event of some kind
- Stories / personal project blogs - Community > Forum > My Projects This section is all about your experiences with the group! Let us know about something that you learned or a memory of an event.
- Start a topic in the forum or answer a question from someone.
- If you would like to sell or give away unwanted items from your junk drawer or ask if someone has an item they would like to sell or trade, add your item/ISO listing in the Marketplace.
- If you find a bug, Report it!
Lastly, Thank You!
Thank you all for helping us to grow the group by getting the word out. It is due to your efforts that we have a need for these changes.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.